The Eight Best Tips For Beginners Looking To Play Poker Online
There are many content creators(myself included) who focus on the do’s and don’ts for playing poker online(which is great). However, you need a basic understanding of the game and what to expect, before you can begin your journey into the world of poker. Now, to be clear, some of the tips below are not meant for the advanced players. You might want to skip ahead to some more advanced tips if you find these to be a little too simple. Once again, these tips are designed for beginners.
1) The first thing you need to understand is the different poker hands, rankings, and even the basic rules that apply. Not every hand is going to bring you luck; and you need to learn that if you are going to survive your first round. The last thing you want is to begin wondering(in the middle of hand) if you are able to beat the House or a Royal Flush. These are things you should know before you reach the middle. That is why we suggest you learning the tables and different hands before jumping in. It will reduce the chances of you looking foolish and not knowing what to do.
2) Please begin with lower stakes. This is not a game where you want to jump in with both feet. That way, you will not feel as though you are risking a lot of money. Sometimes you do have to win some to lose some(and vise versa), but not during high stakes. Make sure you feel comfortable enough to proceed to high stakes, but not before you are ready. You should also avoid high stakes Poker games if that does not fit your personality or style.
3) There is no place for ego in this game. You might become the 5th best online player sitting at the table. Your ego will cause you to lose eventually. Stop trying to constantly go up against the top players in front of you. Keep your ego in check. The last thing you want is to start writing checks your bank account cannot cash.
4) You need to play tight and aggressive. Many beginners like to play wide and having too many hangs going(at one time). That is not going to help. It will only hurt your chances. The idea is to play less, and start playing hard when you have the right hand(tight and aggressive).
5) Start playing one table online and see what happens. You have to get your feet wet, but in the right way. Having too many tables at your disposal is a recipe for disaster. Use your position wisely. Watch how the other players are using their platform. Watch the types of hands they have during the showdown. That is how these players get to be the best of the best. They do not blow their chances of stupid mistakes. They also know when to leave a game, especially if the game is not in their favor. Watch and learn from some of the more experienced players online.
6) Online Poker is not a place for emotions. Emotions are the number one enemy of all Poker players. Emotions serve no purpose. In fact, they do the opposite. Play only when you are having a good day. That means if you wake up feeling cranky(and not in the mood) there is no way should go near a Poker game. You also start doing stupid things after a few drinks, or when tired. The idea is to prepare for the game before playing the game. That might sound like common knowledge, but many beginners still do that. There are some resources online to help you get into the right mindset. These books are for players who really need them. They help you with time management and mental preparedness.
7) One thing you should learn concerns the Poker odds. That way you know where you stand for each game you play. Knowing the Poker odds will help you to decide whether or not to keep playing. Some people keep playing when they should not. One reason for that is greed. Yes, beginners do suffer from greed at times. The other reason is that the person has failed to learn the odds. They figure they can just wing it and move on. There is no way you can “wing it” in Poker. Say, for example, you are playing Texas Hold’Em online. One way you can figure out your chances is by counting the “outs”. Multiply that number by 2. A Gun Shot(for instance)has 2 outs. A Flush Draw has 9 outs(and so on, and so on). There are some great resources online that can help you learn how to do that.
8) Please take your time. Online Poker is not a time to be frivolous and go fast. You do need to think through your moves. Some beginners get excited to the point where they go too fast. They learn the hard way by losing a lot of money. You need to watch what the other players are doing. The other players are not going to hand you any insider tips. They are not there for you. They are there for them. Learn the rules so you can play wisely. Take your time and have some fun with online Poker. Every time you play you get better. Learn as much as you can while you can.